Oct 7, 2021

5 Tips for Drawing on Wood - Painting & Drawing Tips

Wood?? Why would anyone want to DRAW on Wood?
Wildlife → Nature → Wood →Art
Somehow my brain works that way.  
BALD EAGLE ON THE BEACH - WIP - 4 x 4 ink on wood $65


It's INKTOBER so naturally I am working with my pens.  And of course I want to draw things that interest me. Wildlife & Nature.  I had been mounting watercolour paper on wood cradles to draw and paint on and then it hit me.  Why use the paper?  Why not just go straight to wood?  Featuring nature with a wood grain background just seem to fit.    

SANDPIPERS ON THE BEACH - 4 x 4 ink on Wood $65

Whenever you start something new there is a bit of research involved.  This was very true with this project. I wasn't sure if my pens would even work on wood.  I was afraid they would dry up, bleed, not adhere, . . .  Lots of little concerns.  And of course if the drawing worked, how was I to finish it.  

I am sure you know what happened next . . .

The practical side of me said wait till I had all the facts.  But the Artist Side said "Let's Go!!  You can learn on the way!"

I did!!. . .  and I loved it!! .  . . . 

I loved the feel of the wood as I worked.  I loved the sharp, line of black ink running across the surface.  I enjoyed the smooth, sleek way my pen moved across the block. 
As many of you know, I have always loved miniature work so working on a 4 x 4 inch square was right up my ally.  I loved the challenge of coming up with little vignettes.  And I loved how they worked up relatively quickly, about 5 or 6 hours per block, so very rewarding to watch my animals come alive.  

After all that, I have some great tips to get you started on wood too.  

5 Tips for Drawing on Wood

**Note: I have a video on YouTube which also gives more information on "How to Draw on Wood Blocks/Cradles with Wendy Mould. 

1. Sand it
The wood cradles from the Art Store are fairly smooth but it doesn't hurt to touch them up with a bit of sand paper.  The  Purple Label: Grit 320 (see #5 below) is the grade to use.  Just a few light rubs. You are looking for a smooth surface without grooves that will grab your pen.  

Note the smooth surface (SANDPIPER ON THE BEACH drawn with 03 & 05 pens)

2. Transfer
Yes, you can draw lightly on the wood and erase with a kneaded erasure.  This will not harm the surface if you have a light hand.  However, there is always a risk of damaging the surface.  I found it much easier to work out my big shapes on tracing paper and then transfer the drawing to my blocks.  
See my post: The Tears Free Way to Transfer an Image for more information on that.  

Pencil drawing after transfer, focus on the large shapes and key reference points in the drawing.  

3.  Work Quickly
This is not a time to leave your pen resting on your support.  Your pen needs to move continually when resting on the surface.  Otherwise the ink will bleed out into the wood.  This is not a problem when you are shading but you definitely want to do a practice stroke when drawing those important lines.  
'Thinking time' was needed in a drawing as I planned how an area would be filled in.  At the same time, the quicker movements made things loose and alive. I strive to keep that 'contrived' look out of my ink work.  

BALD EAGLE ON THE BEACH - WIP - Quick strokes set up the drawing

4.  Build with Layers
Working on your darks should be easy because you are using a black pen. However, it still needs lots of planning and you need to check your value as each layer goes on.  There is no 'redos' with ink on wood.  
I found it was better to build my darks in layers.  This gave me more latitude for variation in values.  It also gave a more interesting dark.  Holding your pen in one spot and letting the ink bleed out to make a dark does not give the same affect as layered cross hatching.  However, this is probably about personal choice as much as style.  

BALD EAGLE ON THE BEACH - WIP- Note the build up of layers on the eagle and the rocks. 



5.  Seal It
Once the drawing is complete you need to seal the wood to protect everything.  I wanted a shiny, natural wood look so I chose a Glossy Acrylic Medium. (First I applied a light coat of Workable Fixative Spray.  I just wanted to make sure things were set and my ink did not run.)  Then using a small sponge brush I put on 2 coats of  Gloss Glazing Liquid.  Waiting at least 4 hours between coats.  
My finishing coat was Liquitex Pouring Medium.  Also 2 coats, with light sanding using that fine sandpaper in between the coats.  I let my pieces sit overnight between coats.  I also used the Pouring Medium to finish the sides.

Materials used to seal each cube.  Don't forget to finish the sides as well.  

Have fun with your drawing on wood.  I would love to see what you draw.  Don't hesitate to drop me a line and show me your work.  

**Note: I have a video on YouTube which also gives more information on "How to Draw on Wood Blocks/Cradles with Wendy Mould. 

My large drawing on wood "The Forest Floor" is coming along.  Unfortunately it had to go on hold for a bit as other projects jumped into line ahead of it.  Hope to have it ready to show you soon.  

Looking to Move your work to NEW LEVELS?  

Contact Me for:

1. Private Drawing Lesson: (3 Sessions 2.5 hr each $250)
Do you want your animals to breath, your flowers to sparkle or your people to walk?  Whatever subject your like to paint or draw I can build a drawing program for you.  Private Lessons allow you to focus on the skills you wish to develop.  Wendy is a experienced teacher, providing a calm, relaxing experience as you learn how to use the principles of drawing.  Beginner to Advanced are welcome.  Special rates for younger students.  More info here.

2.  Online Mentoring/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75)
Are You and Your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  Here's how it works: Send me a few pictures of your paintings.  I will prepare material to facilitate a discussion based on your goals.  I am a sounding board, coach and teacher,  with suggestions, techniques and tips to help you meet your goals and move your art forward.  More info here.   Looking forward to Zooming with you.  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy



No comments: