May 13, 2021

Exploring with SHAPES - Sketch Booking - Painting & Drawing Tips

Do you have a Sketchbook Practice?

Finishing Touches to THE FLOWER SHOP - Sketchbook Practice


I must admit when I first started drawing I scoffed at Sketch Booking Practice.  It seemed like such a waste of time.  I felt each of my drawing were way too 'important' to be in a mere sketchbook.  Each of them had to be 'A Masterpiece".   

I am older now.  (Not sure I am wiser though . . .)  But I have learned the value of Sketchbook Practice.  I love having my own treasures in my books.  Flipping through the pages and enjoying the "moments of discovery" once again. 

What you ask "are Moments of Discovery"?

I enjoy things like: 
- when I discovered how much I liked it when things went off the page 
- when I realized how I could make corrections in an ink drawing
- when I experienced the joy of mixing colours with my watercolour pencils
- when I grasped the beauty of the mix of abstract and realism
- when I knew in my heart that I could actually draw . . . people, trees, scenery, 

. . . . . . .  and so much more.

I have a Sketchbook Activity that will really give you one of those Moments.  

Karen Stamper, an British Artist was the inspiration for this Activity.  She is a multimedia artist and avid sketching booker.  She has inspired me to try things like collaging and stenciling.  But mostly to just jump in and try something different. 

Exploring with Shapes is one of those activities. 

Designing Vases - THE FLOWER SHOP - Sketchbook Practice

Video Support: I have a video posted with the Arts Council of  Surrey Instructional Series based on this activity.  View it HERE for more ideas and direction.  

Materials: sketchbook, pens, crayons, coloured pencils, watercoloured pencils, anything you have for mark making - favourite stuff and even stuff you always wanted try but haven't yet.  Glue, bits of coloured paper or magazine, heavy paper for making stencils

Use your 'vase' stencils to draw on your page 


Process: Make stencils by cutting 2 or 3 different shape vases. Place them on your page in a pleasing manner.  Open your book wide and work with both facing pages.  I added an extension to my pages to make it even wider.  I also used a variety of papers as this was my handmade sketchbook with my own papers in it.  

Start Adding decorative bits with different mediums

Use your mark making tools to decorate your vases.  This is where you can really experiment.  Use different mark maker tools (ie. pens, pencils, coloured pencils, charcoal, etc.) For cohesiveness repeat colours/mediums in 2 or 3 places.  I used pens, watercolour pencils, pencils and collages material from a magazine. 

Add foliage & flowers to the vases. 

Add foliage to your vases.  Make the plants go right off the top of the page.

Final touches: 
- give the vases shadows to create a 3-D effect
- place a horizontal line approx. 1/3 of the way down the page to give the sense of a bench or table. 

Enjoy!!
I really enjoyed working on this activity. And I enjoy looking at it. 
Whenever I finished a page in my sketchbook,  I always set it up on a stand open to that page.  I find it very inspiring to look at when I come into my studio. I always see little things happening that I hadn't noticed in the creative process.  

I would love to see what you did with this activity.  Be sure and send me a photo. 
 
A video version of Exploring with Shapes with Wendy Mould is available on Youtube.

Wendy Mould is now on Youtube:

Wendy is a Producer of Gallery Talks - A video interview with the featured artists in the Arts Council of Surrey Community Gallery. New talk each month.

Wendy is a Producer of Art Activities - Each month Wendy produces a 5-8 minute video on Creative Activities you can do for the Arts Council of Surrey's Instruction Series.  These can be viewed by visiting www.artcouncilofsurrey.ca or www.artbywendy.com - Workshops.  Many of these activities have a blog post with more information and downloadable PDF's so you can follow along.  

OUTDOOR SKETCHING SEASON  is HERE!!

 Wednesday, May 19: 10am - 12:30pm 2 Spots Left

Upcoming Dates: Wednesday May 26, June 2 & June 9
Saturday, May 22,  June 5 & June 12 

Twice a week, Wednesday and Saturday mornings, I will take small groups out for Outdoor Sketching.  Get Tips and Techniques for Sketching in Nature.  Beginners to Advanced Welcome. Max. 3 per class. (Other times available upon request) 

Mediums supported: pencil, pen, watercolour, watercolour pencils and coloured pencils 
Location: Parks in North Surrey and Langley
Cost: $50 per session

Supplies: Bring your own supplies, don't hesitate to contact me about your supplies
Rainy Days: Not fun to plein air in the rain.  You can defer to another available day or join me in my studio and work with me. (when Covid rules allow small inside gatherings) 

Contact Wendy to Book Your Spot!! 

Looking to Move your work to NEW LEVELS?  

  Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75)

Are You and Your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  Here's how it works: Send me a few pictures of your paintings.  I will prepare material to facilitate a discussion based on your goals.  I am a sounding board, coach and teacher,  with suggestions, techniques and tips to help you meet your goals and move your art forward.  More info here.   Looking forward to Zooming with you.  
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,
Wendy



No comments: