Jan 7, 2021

Behind the Scenes of a Pet Portrait - Painting and Drawing Tips

Are you an Animal Lover?  I am.  

( If not, this may not be a post for you.  Maybe wait until next week's post on how a Treasure Hunt can improve your drawing skills or last week's post:  5 Ways to Build ART SKILLS while HIBERNATING this Winter)

Max is my BFF - He likes to join me on all my Adventures

My dog, Max is a 4 year old minature poodle.  He loves to join me for walks, hikes, kayaking and even outdoor sketching.  Well I think he likes the hiking part in the outdoor sketching and then of course he is always happy to sleep while I work.  Seems all dogs are happy to do that.    

And yes, I have drawn several portraits of Max... 


ME FETCH?! - Max's baby picture.  Still my favourite.  
(And he still prefers me to chase him rather than him doing the fetching)

And of course - Max has a business card, print, mug, notebook and even a t-shirt.  Once I completed his drawing I could digitally put his image on anything!!  And I have.

Thinking of getting into Commission Work - Join me, Behind the Scene

 Steps in Creating a Pet Portrait

 1.  The photos

I encourage pet owners to send me several photos.  One with the pose they are looking for and others just to give me more information on what their pet looks like.  A picture may be worth a thousand words but it doesn't always tell you everything you need to know for a realistic drawing of an animal.



Pictured above, some of the fellows I have had the pleasure of drawing.  

2.  The plan

This is an important part of the process.  Often several emails will go back and forth before a final plan is approved.  I use photoshop to crop pictures and to draw in details.  It helps in the discussion.  I usually offer several options for how a picture may be designed.


 

3.  Once a plan is in place the drawing begins. This is the fun part for me.  I really enjoy working on the animals.  Watching them come to life on my paper is very exciting.   


4. The Proofing Process
This can be a tense time for me.  When the drawing is done, I photograph it and send the proof to the owner.  I know that my drawing might be a good drawing of a cat or dog but the question is 'Does it look like their cat or dog?'  

Yes, there is a revision process.  And this is something every artist must be prepared for.  I do warn my clients that small changes can be made but the paper will be damaged if I try and make big changes. Usually it is a matter of tweaking values and adding/removing minor things.  Again the emails will fly back and forth as I make the changes, photograph the picture and send a new proof along.
  
TEDDY -  One of this year's Christmas Commissions


Pet portraits often are more than just one animal.  Sometimes it is a collage of favourite pictures and often it includes the owner as well.  Many times I need to do research as body parts are missing in the photo.  In the class of little Teddy above, they owner wanted to see some of Teddy's eyes.  Sometimes I am adding a paw or tail that has been clipped in the picture.  All of these things make for the kind of  interesting challenges that I like.  


                             WALKING BUDDIES - This is me with my old guy Rusty.  

5.  The Finish
I like to give a light spray of fixative to my drawings just to hold the graphite so it doesn't smear in transit.  Once that is done I cut a mat for the picture and package it up to go home.  

Drawing Pet Portraits can be a very rewarding experience but it is not for everyone.  You are creating someone else's plan.  Not being alone in the driver's seat, can be a new experience.  I enjoy the challenge but not everyone does.  

If you would like to chat with me about getting into commission work.  Drop me a line.  

Looking to Move your work to NEW LEVELS?  

  Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75)

Are You and Your Inner Critic looking to expand your discussions.  Here's how it works: Send me a few pictures of your paintings.  I will prepare material to facilitate a discussion based on your goals.  I am a sounding board and coach with suggestions, techniques and tips to help you meet your goals and move your art forward.  More info here.   Looking forward to Zooming with you.  
  
Many find this post helpful: Turn your Inner Critic into your BFF

Be sure to like and share my posts.  You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

No comments: