Jun 4, 2020

Putting Texture, Shapes & Values into your Painting Backgrounds - Painting and Drawing Tips

Do you struggle with the Backgrounds in your Paintings?  
Should you put more? Less? Too busy? Too dark?

Backgrounds have always been a mystery to me.  

Using colours, textures & shapes go on a Discovery Trip into the background. 

As a wildlife artist, I am always focused on my subject.  I often have to create a background or setting for them as my photos don't have them in an interesting or natural setting.  (Stellar Jay on patio table is definitely not nature in action!!) 

As you know I love working in my sketchbook as much as producing Fine Art Pieces.  When I saw this activity with Karen Stamper I just knew I could take it and run with it. And run I did.  


RABBITS IN THE GARDEN: So much fun to make this loooooong picture. 


Pretty exciting project eh?  Now don't panic, you don't need to put rabbits in your garden but I do challenge you to make a garden. I made a video on the whole process for the Arts Council of Surrey.  You can see it  here.  In the meantime I have given you a summary of the process below. 

 When you watch the video you will see "My Garden" version which is done mostly in blacks and grays.   'Rabbits in the Garden' was my second project as I decided I needed animals in my garden. 
 

MY GARDEN - pen, charcoal, pastels, coloured pencils

Steps for Rabbits in the Garden Project: 

1. Add an extension to your sketchbook page.  Having the longer format is half the fun.

2. Gather a variety of mark making tools.  I used: micron pens, pencils, watercolours, pastel pencils, wax, a variety of thicker pens, paper and scissors for stencils

3. If you are going to put specific subjects in your garden, sketch them in now.

Stage 2 of my Garden: Painted Rabbit and continued to make marks and shapes around him

4. Start mark making.  Moving across your page make marks that are plant like, overlapping and layering as you go.  Note in my Stage 2 there are painted leaves that were a stencil, leaves drawn in ink, branches thick and thin scattered about.  

5.  Look at bushes and see what is happening at the ground level for more ideas for shapes.  Add some abstract shapes.  

6. Colour in your shapes.  Think about the light source as you do

Final Stage: All coloured in.   Note patterns inside of drawn shapes like the fern at the top left


Super Fun Activity eh?  I know challenging as well.  I spent a few of my walks with Max studying bushes and really looking at what was happening.  This is definitely not a 1 day project but one that will interest you and challenge you for days.  It really is all about shapes, textures and values.  How they work together is really the secrets you will learn.  

Do you have big/small projects on the go?  Looking for a sounding board, help, suggestions, techniques.  I am available for Online Coaching/Teaching  (3 sessions 30 minutes each $75). more info here.

If you are looking for Live Outdoor Sketching Classes I will be starting them June 6.  See info below.  Contact me to set something up. 

Outdoor Sketching Classes !! 

Yes,  2 in a class for Outdoor Sketching starting Saturday, June 6.  Covid  Rules and Social Distancing will be followed.  

Sessions 2.5 hours, in local North Surrey Parks, Tuesdays 10-12;30 or Saturdays 10-12:30.  
$45 
June Dates: Tuesday, June 9, 16, 23, 30.   Saturdays June 6, 13, 20, 27
Save a Spot Now. Contact Wendy


Be sure to like and share my posts. 
You won't miss a single post if you Follow by Email 
Have a great Artful Day,

Wendy

No comments: