Apr 2, 2015

It's like Magic!!

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY

Paper, pen, pencils
a few ideas
and
Voila!!
"At the Pump" comes to Life!!
At the Pumps: 1931 Model A Ford - Coloured pencil & Ink
Oh, don't I wish it was that easy!! 
Magic Tricks aren't just smoke and mirrors, lots is happening at the back end.  

The same is true with creating a new drawing.

My materials
My ideas come from my experiences.  This picture came about with my involvement at the Kilby Historical Site.  It is a store and farm at Harrison Mills build in 1906.  The historical society works hard to keep it in good repair and open each summer.  With their costume attendants and variety of farm animals they present a step back in time.  I have a large display of prints, cards and memo pads in their gift shop and cafe.  It is a wonderful outlet for all my animals and birds that I love to draw.  

I was at Kilby several years ago with their Fall Festival and during the afternoon a Classic Car Club arrived with a wonderful collection of old Fords.  I got some great shots of several of the cars. This car, a 1931 Model A Ford seemed just right for my little scene "At the Pumps". Gas was sold at Kilby when cars arrived and the pumps are still standing there today.  They advertise gas at 17 cents, I would love to be able to fill my car at those prices!!

Once my pictures are taken they percolate in my mind until I have an idea; my car stopped, waiting to fill up at the pumps in the background became my story.  Of course ink work had to be involved, somehow old things just invite my pens out. Coloured pencils and graphite pencils got in the mix as I  love the combination of ink with black coloured pencil:  you can get so many more tones and interesting texture.

My materials are:
2 ply Rising Museum Board
Prismacolour Black Pencil
Micron Pigma Pen .03
2B & 5B Derwent Pencil
erasers & pencil sharpener

Not much.
Sometimes it really does seem to be like Magic even to me!!

Have a good day,
Wendy

Special Note:
Two miniatures "On the Watch: Rocking Moutain Bighorn Sheep" 1.75 x 4 inches and "On the Ridge" 2 x 3.5 inches have been selected as part of the 8th International Miniature Art Exhibit, June 14 to Sept 6, 2015 at Levis, Quebec, Canada. If you are visiting the area be sure and check the show out and tell me how my little ones are doing.





2 comments:

Brenda Hill CDM said...

Perfect for Kilby Wendy!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Yes, they opened this weekend and I have a large print of "At the Pumps" in the cafe. It looks great!