Jan 10, 2013

Bailey - A Study in White

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY
BAILEY - 7 X 9 - Sold
Bailey is another of my Christmas secrets and one I thought you would enjoy seeing.  She is a real sweetie as a pet but a real challenge to draw.  Creating 'white' with a gray medium seems almost like an oxymoron. I use to use a background when faced with this problem (many animals are white or have large white areas) but I wanted to do more.  I have been studying this idea and working with it.  I drew sheep, flowers (not happy with them at all) and even tried a swan, a real symbol of 'white'.  It was quite a voyage of discovery. 
How do you create 'white' without relying on a background?  For me it seemed to come down to a few things: use lots of 'other' drawing tools that aren't pencils: paintbrushes, stumps, and a chamois;  putting graphite down and then lifting it off; and establishing a real dark and ranging all my values from there.  I feel I have solutions but I am always looking for more.
Have a great day.
As always, prints and cards of any of my work are available starting at $3.50.

5 comments:

Brenda Hill CDM said...

What a little sweetie,you caught the white not easy to do!

Gillian Olson said...

Beautiful drawing Wendy.

Studio at the Farm said...

Wendy, Bailey is just adorable! You really did a fabulous job of creating white!!!!!

EG CameraGirl said...

To my eye, you have captured Bailey very well!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thank you ladies, Bailey was a fun project and really taught me more about drawing 'white' with graphite.