Mar 11, 2014

Daddy's Boots Finished!! - Or My Secret Tool for Children's Faces

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY

The little Guy is done!!
Daddy's Boots - 16 x 20 Matted - Graphite - $500

There he is, ready to work with Dad - tools, hard hat and safety boots - ready to go.  Steve, my husband,  loves to have 'projects' on the go and I am happy to say that little guy still enjoys working with Dad.  

Looking for a Secret Tool to draw those children faces?

Portraits with young children, like this little guy require a very light touch.  All the facial features have to be soft and light or that little boy looks like an old man before you know it!!  In order to do this I used my faithful putty eraser a lot to soften lines but the real hero was my paint brush.  It was the main tool used to sculpture the face.  It is wonderful! It moves the bits of graphite around and into the tooth of the paper without creating harsh lines.  It allows very subtle changes in values both in adding graphite or wiping it away.  Definitely the tool of the day!

A nice soft, dry brush in your bag of pencils will open a whole new world up for you.  Mine is a size 6 round, watercolour brush, nice and soft. 

If you have a old photo you would like to develop into a picture, drop me a line.  I would love to work with you to bring your ideas to life. 
Have a great day,
Wendy 

2 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Nicely done, Wendy.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks, he does look like he is having fun and ready to help!