Aug 24, 2017

Travel Kit Saves the Day - Painting & Drawing Tip

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY

I just want to paint!!

You know the feeling - You just want to paint!

  • No hauling out supplies
  • No clearing a space for big canvases
  • No clean up
Just paint!
Play with colour, design, draw.  Whatever. . . 

I have found the secret.  
Title Page for my new summer journal - Gyrfalcon, the Bird for the Northwest Territories
Started on the plane and completed on the layover. 

This summer I have had a number of trips, a big camping/painting trip but several smaller less art focused trips.  I like to paint but when you are traveling or visiting you really can't 'pull everything out'.  But still there are down times when you sure wish you could.  

My new little travel kit really "Saved the Day" for me.

Steve and I just got back from a visit with my brother and sister-in-law in Yellowknife, NWT.  We spent time there but he had also arranged for us to fly-in to Blachford Lake Fishing Lodge for a few days.  It was an awesome trip.  One I really wanted to put into my journal but of course I could not take my whole studio with me!! So I took my new little travel kit.   (My full kit is described in my post" Yippee! I am no longer a Pack Animal" here. )

It worked great. 
To get to the lodge we had to fly from Yellowknife - a small float plane means no big packs of supplies
Of course at the lodge we went fishing and boating.
Cindy and I enjoyed the view while the guys were fishing.  Don't worry I got a turn too and caught an awesome trout!!
Steve and Dave busy on the lines
My full kit has the clamps and board for added support if you are standing or using something to support your work.  However it can be reduced depending on your space and working place.

Smaller Version: 
Replace brushes and water container with a waterbrush

I worked on my title page for my journal on our flight from Vancouver to Yellowknife.  (Note the pictures pre-printed by me so I had things to work on while flying.  I collected a few symbols of the Northwest Territories to paint on my pages. ) When flying on the larger plane I put the board, brush kit and clamps in my checked bag and had this smaller version in my carry-on bag.  Here it is all set up.  
Not much room on those little tables on the plane but no problem with my little kit. 
Smallest Version:
Take only book and pen  (add your colour later)

When we headed out for a hike or boat trip on the lake I just took my book and a pen.  Easy to do a sketch 'on the go' and then in the evening when relaxing I pulled out my paints and added a bit of colour.  
Pen and Book were great for drawing while we were trolling for trout and it was not my turn with the rod. 
When you want to paint, having your materials Ready for Action means you can Paint/Draw when you want.  

What to paint?  I always keep a few pictures tucked into my pack that I can work on if there is nothing in front of me I want to paint. See more ideas here.  What do you do when you have a moment and pull out your book and can't get inspired.

I am off to Kilby for the Plein Air Festival starting Friday - full report for the next post.  See below for more information.

 Etsy Shop now Open: WendyMouldsArt  Come on In!! 

Special Offer: Free Shipping with your order of 4 or more Doodle Cards.

Special Upcoming Event: Plein Air Painting Festival - August 25-27 - Kilby Historical Site, Harrison Mills, BC
Great Opportunity to Paint on a Historic Site with costume models, farm animals, farm scenery,  old store and more.  Great Prizes for all levels - Beginners to Advanced Welcome - $15 Register events@kilby.ca by August 15, 2017.  Painting Friday and Saturday, Prizes, Luncheon, and Sales on Sunday.

See you there!!

 Be sure to like and share my posts.
 You won't miss a single one if you Follow by Email or Like my Facebook Page. Keep up with all the art events by joining my email list (see sidebar on my blog)
 Have a great artful day,
Wendy

No comments: