Feb 28, 2012

Tulips are Flying Off the Paper

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY
ABOVE THE CROWD - 5 x 7 - Available

Spring must be on my mind, as suddenly I have all these tulips I want to paint.  We went down to Connors last spring, a place in northern Washington State, for the spring Tulip Festival.  It was a beautiful sunny day and the fields were just bright ribbons of colour.  There was pinks, yellows, reds, and purples; fields and fields of them in full bloom; quite a sight to see!  I took tons of pictures and now I am ready to paint.

I had this interesting arrangement drawn out and I decided to try some different effects.  For "Above the Crowd" I used the smooth side of the paper, and then really intensified the shadows to get some interesting patterns happening.  It looked very weird at first and I really had to push myself to finish.  My husband kept saying "keep going" don't judge it till you're done.  I was glad I listened as now I really kind of like it. 

For "Singled Out" I put lots of colour all over the paper and then drew in my flowers.  I used my blue to really form the flowers and again really intensified the shadow colours.  I love some of the interesting textures and colours that I ended up with.  Not sure if it is too dark but . . .
SINGLED OUT - 4.5 x 6.5 Available

7 comments:

Brenda Hill CDM said...

Both beautiful and I love the colors

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Both are beautiful and well done, Wendy! I really like "Above the Crowd", the petals looks so velvety! I find reds hard to do.

The tulip festival is fun and crazy as all the cars crowd the small farm roads and the colors of the fields are an amazing feast for the eyes!

Unknown said...

Lovely piece Wendy love the colors. My choice is the top one with more highlights. Love it.

Gillian Olson said...

Wendy both are brilliant, but I love the way you have captured thelight in the second one.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Hi Brenda, glad you enjoyed the flowers. The colors are a little different for me.
Barbara, thanks, yes I used the smooth side of the watercolour paper and cursed it the whole time but when I was finished I was surprised how that velvety seemed to just appear.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Hi Dors, I also like what happened in the top one but some of the petals in the bottom one were just so neat it has really won me over.

Thanks Gillian, I must admit that I went in with an opaque white at the end to get those flashes of white but the other lights came from the underpainting and they just seemed to appear as things developed. I really loved them.

Unknown said...

That's whats so lovely about art Wendy - different things appeal to everyone. Being a lover of bright colours, I also like the top one best, but both of them put a smile on my face and make me think of spring! Two beautiful paintings!!! :)