Feb 3, 2012

Snowy Owl Visits Vancouver WIP

NEW WORKS FROM THE STUDIO OF ART BY WENDY

SNOWY OWL VISITS VANCOUVER - 14 x 18

My first project of the year had to be the Snowy Owls.  They are settled out on the Delta Mud Flats amongst the low brush for our winter.  It is very unusual for them to come this far south and in fact the last time they were here in these numbers, was in the winter of 2005/6.  I was so excited with seeing them over Christmas that I just had to get started on a picture of them.

I wanted my owl to reflect their regal appearance and to integrate him into the surroundings.  I tried several different formats, but it was hard to include the brush and logs and yet give a real sense of his size.  (They are one of the biggest owls.)  This is my final set up and now it is peddle to the metal to finish him (or her) up. 

PS.  Note the picture size, this is my largest drawing. 

6 comments:

Leslie Lambert Redhead said...

I love Snowy Owls! I am excited to see this progress. It looks amazing already.

Brenda Hill CDM said...

Beautiful bird, beautiful drawing

Unknown said...

He/She does look very regal and lovely work. Looking forward to your next update on this.

Gillian Olson said...

Lovely Wendy, I'll be following as this work progresses.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks ladies,I must admit I am excited about this picture and I find it hard to "keep up with my other life" I just want to work on it. We are going to head out early tomorrow to see the owls again. The weather is clear but cold for the next few days.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Hi Wendy, Looks like a great start on your new work. We are hoping to come up to see the snowys tomorrow. Our destination is Boundry Bay. Are you anywhere near there? Anyway, hope to get some sightings. Down here we have sighted them, but they are too far to get good photos. Best of luck to you tomorrow and looking forward to seeing the completed work!