Feb 5, 2011

To Crop or Not to Crop, That is the Question

GET LOST!! - 3.2x 3.2
“Get Lost” is the second piece in my mute swan trio and now I find I am having a problem. I had originally planned on doing the pictures as a 3 x 3 but after completing the first two I had this great idea to crop them. This dilemma has brought me to a standstill as I really can’t decide. The first picture, "Winter Friends" which I posted last week was cropped but now looking at “Get Lost!!” I am changing my mind. ( I have included both the cropped version and the non cropped version of this picture so you can see the difference.) I need to decide as I want to proceed on the third picture which will feature two swans. I don’t think that I could paint the larger version and then crop it as easily as the others. (I know for you big picture painters the idea of doing a 2 x 2 picture versus a 3 x 3 picture seems ludicrous but these are the dilemmas of the miniature artist) The time has come to make a decision. Any thoughts??
GET LOST!! - 2 x 2

I have been very quiet as late as I have been down for the count with a terrible cold. I am now up and running again and thankfully feeling much better. Finally on another note, the registration for my marketing workshop in February is going really well. Only one spot left!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Wendy. I am not much help to you regarding size as I don't do miniature. I love "Get Lost" It's beautifully done and at first glanse I thought it was a photo. Well done.

I am sorry you have had a terrible cold but pleased to hear you are starting to feel better.
Congratulations on the Feb marketing workshop.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks so much for your support Dors. Yes it I haven't been sick for a long time so I shouldn't complain but I am not a good patient.

Brenda Hill CDM said...

Hi Wendy, I like the 3x3. Get better we have shows to do!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thanks Brenda, I must admit now that I see the two together I am leaning more to the 3 x 3 as well. Today I am much better, thanks.

Barbara A. Freeman said...

Ok, I'm a bit late, but if you need a third opinion, I agree with the larger one. I like the bit of space under the duck, and the total reflection helps keep the movement going, directing you up to the swan. Not sure if that makes sense?
Either way, it's a lovely work and cute title. Hope you are feeling better by now!

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thank you Barbara, you were not too late. As it turns out my great cold really slowed down production around here. I am starting to feel better and anxious to get back to work.

Eric Ellingson said...

My thoughts on the crop would be to start from the bottom left and pull the crop up towards the upper right giving you about a 2.5x 2.5. This would cut the swans body like on the cropped one but leave room under the Mallards.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thank you Eric, I do think I was centering my crop rather than the left focus as you suggested and it does look nice.