Oct 12, 2009

“Who Cooks for You” - Finished


Well I am very pleased to say that my owl is done. It took lots of work to figure out what was happening on the back but converting my photograph to black and white certainly helped. As you can probably tell I made a few changes in the body of the owl. Once I started working on the 'bars' on the feathers I realized they had gotten away from me and I needed to rework that area. I did have a problem with the background too. I wanted to create a believable environment for my owl and so I intended to include lots of branches. However when I had them laid out it seemed like they would overpower my picture. After much fiddling I ended up with this combination. I feel I found a nice balance.
One final note: If you are wondering why I choose the title, "Who Cooks for You", this is what the hoot of the barred owl sounds like when you hear it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely job Wendy. Yes it does have a nice balance ...and wow all the work in the feathers.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thank you Dors. Yes those feathers nearly made me cross-eyed but they were worth it.

m1 Designs said...

This is very lovely work Wendy. You've achieved lots of detail without over doing.

Wendy Mould AFCA said...

Thank you, it was hard not to add more foliage as it is so much fun to draw but I really wanted my owl to stand out in a subtle way.